Friday, May 7, 2010

CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo! Celebrate good times come on!!

The semester is officially over!!! I have been going five semesters straight, with maybe two weeks inbetween semesters, and I'm done until August!!! Woop!

I also found out that I will be student teaching in a 6th grade classroom at Monroe Elementary, which is like ten minutes away from my house, which is awesome! I'll be working with Kimberlee Bonham, she will be my site teacher and trainer for next school year. I get to meet her next Friday and I'm very excited for that. My mom is not happy that I got 6th grade, cause she worked with a 6th grade class for a school year and hated it, and she kind of keeps bumming me out! I'm getting really excited! I worked in an elementary school as a title one aid for a 3rd grade class, so I've experienced younger grades, so I'm excited to try an older grade. I also found out that another girl from my cohort (the group of my peers that I'll be working with this year) is also student teaching a 6th grade class at the same school, so that will be SO nice to have someone else going throught the same things as me. She and I will know too much about each other by this time next year! :)

So, I gave my boss the news today that I'll be quitting at the end of the summer. I'm not gonna lie, it worries me SO much that I'm quitting my job when the teaching field isn't desperate for teachers. It makes me really sad that they are cutting back on SO much school funding in our state! These kids are struggling, so let's pull out all of the resources that will help to enhance their learning. (Yes, I'm going off on a tangent) I was watching Ellen the other day, and she gave everyone in the audience an Ipod touch, plus three audence members got $500.00 worth of gift cards to shop at Target. Don't get me wrong Ellen is my favorite, but can you imagine what that money could do for our education system? This is our future people!!! I guess that's why I want to be a teacher so much...I'm obviously not in it for the money, and if I can help make a difference in children's education I'll do everything in my power to make that happen!

On a lighter note, I am going to be an officer in my sorority next year! I'm the Sigma Secretary! The girls are AMAZING, and this is going to be SO good for me, I cannot wait!

So I decided that all I'm going to do all summer is read, and read, and read. I haven't really been able to read for pleasure because of school and work. So if you have any book suggestions please share! :)

I'd like to share a conversation I had with my father when asking him if I could have an ice cream sandwich...

Me: Dad can I have a Fat Boy?
Dad: I wouldn't care if he was a skinny boy! :)

6 comments:

Nathan and Shanna said...

Congrats! That is so awesome! I am so happy for you. When I was at Ricks I joined a Lamda Delta Sigma and was made the president the next year yikes! But it was all fun and a great learning experience for me!

Sarah said...

Kelly, 6th grade will be just fine. You'll do great at it. I'm so proud of you.

J & E Hoffmann said...

YAY FOR SUMMER! You need and deserve a summer break! You can read and read and read if you promise to read at my house while I blab your ear off! :)

Amy Moriah said...

Yay!!! I am so happy for you! Oh and Monroe is where Keven went to school as a kid. Funny! I think you are going to love it!! So happy for you. Anyway... um we need to get together!!! I miss you!!

Crystal said...

LOL! Dad gotta love him. Uh um I am clearing my throat cause you forgot that you are coming to see me this summer remember. Oh and after you quit that stupid place you are coming up every weekend you can to see me after we move. Oh and it's true we wouldn't care if he was skinny SCHMELL. Love ya

jess said...

I think you will do great. Just act yourself and it'll be like another kid in the class. :-) haha totally kidding. I'm sure it will be lots of fun. Great job at all your hard work!